How To Get To Tanzania
Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) is situated 50km/31mi east of Arusha, the gateway of Tanzania’s popular Northern safari circuit. The drive from the airport to Arusha takes about 1½ hours*.
Tanzania’s main airport is Julius Nyerere International Airport (DAR), located 13km/8mi southwest of Dar es Salaam. This is the entry point for visitors to the southern parks.
From Arusha or Dar es Salaam, you can fly or drive between reserves. Some domestic flights out of Arusha will leave from Kilimanjaro International Airport, while others leave from the much smaller Arusha Airport (ARK) located 8km/5mi west of town. However you choose to travel, in most cases, as the ground tour operator we will pick you up from the airport and arrange all further transportation as part of your safari package.
*Driving times are only a rough indication. You should always consider the possibility of significant delays.
Flights & Airlines to Tanzania
Please check Sky-scanner to see which airlines can take you to Tanzania and what tickets would cost.
Domestic Airlines & Flights in Tanzania
Domestic and charter flights between parks are usually booked by tour operators as part of the tour package. Domestic flights can be booked with several domestic carriers.
- Air Tanzania
- Precision Air
- Regional Air
- Safari Air Link
- Coastal Aviation
- Auric Air
- Air Excel
- As Salaam Air
Passport, Visa & Other Entry Requirements
Entry requirements can change, so please contact your local Tanzanian embassy/high commission to verify that the information below is current.
- A passport is required for all foreign visitors and has to be valid for at least six months.
- Passports must have a clean and a full visa page for endorsement.
- Citizens of most countries require a visa. A list of countries that don't need a visa is available.
- Visas are best obtained in advance through an official online visa-application portal, but they can also be obtained through your local Tanzanian embassy or high commission.
- Visas can also be obtained on arrival.
- When arriving from a yellow-fever-infected country in Africa or the Americas, a yellow-fever vaccination certificate is required.
- For more information, including COVID-19 related entry requirements (if any), please check the website of your local Tanzanian embassy/high commission or the government travel advisories below: