8 BEST BEACHES IN ZANZIBAR, INDIAN OCEAN HOLIDAYS ON THE EXOTIC 'SPICE ISLAND'
Discover Zanzibar's best beaches with its spectacular sunsets, palm-fringed beaches, turquoise waters & colorful coral reefs. The Zanzibar archipelago is a jewel in the Indian Ocean, just 60 miles off Africa's east coast. Few names evoke such a romantic image as the main ‘Spice Island’ of Zanzibar. The capital, Stone Town, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and home to a fascinating maze of narrow streets, while on the east coast pristine beaches beckon visitors to the reef-protected warm waters as traditional wooden dhows sail by. Across from the main island, the small sister island of Pemba offers away-from-it-all escapes.
1. Bwejuu Beach, Relaxation & Reef Safari
Bwejuu is one of the top beaches in Zanzibar. This white sandy beach on the island’s southeast coast is lined with palm trees and only an hour and a half away from Stone Town. It’s one of the quietest parts of Zanzibar and a popular choice for those seeking total relaxation, peace and privacy. There are plenty of activities and excursions to do around the area, including a mangrove forest and dhow boat trip, a visit to the local village of Bwejuu, a reef safari, snorkeling and diving, a visit to Stone Town, or a day trip to the Jozani Forest, which is home to the Red Colobus Monkey.
The Best Beach Resorts around Bwejuu Beach
- Baraza Resort and Spa is a family-run resort with spectacular views of the Indian Ocean.
- Breezes Beach Club and dive center is a tranquil, relaxed resort that caters mostly to families and couples.
- The Palms is one of the island’s most exclusive private resorts and is perfect for Zanzibar honeymooners or couples looking for privacy. Each villa has a private plunge pool and a terrace with magnificent views of the Indian Ocean. It was voted one the World's Most Romantic All-Inclusive Resorts by Travel + Leisure.
All three of the above beach resorts make up ‘The Zanzibar Collection,’ a portfolio of privately owned luxury hotels and resorts inspired by the magic of this exotic beach destination.
2. Michamvi Beach, a Remote Coral Lagoon
Michamvi is a peninsula on the central east coast of the island. Although there are two large beach resorts in the area, Michamvi feels remote and has long stretches of empty beaches to explore. The peninsula consists of two parts, Michamvi-Pingwe and Michamvi-Kae. On the eastern side is Michamvi-Pingwe, with a vibrant coral lagoon and beautiful palm-fringed beaches set in a string of scenic coves between high coral-rag cliffs. On the western side is Michamvi-Kae, which faces west towards Chwaka Bay.
Where to Stay Around Michamvi Beach
- Kichanga Lodge is a private resort nestled into hillside tropical gardens. The resort has a swimming pool that overlooks the beach and on the beach itself there’s a traditional weathered dhow boat, which serves as the bar.
- Konokono Beach Resort is a quiet paradise offering privacy and romance in the heart of nature. It’s a favourite for couples and those on a Zanzibar honeymoon.
- Z Hotel is a chic boutique hotel that exudes elegance. The beachfront resort is also known for its food and drink, including Asian-fusion tapas, sharing platters and a creative cocktail menu.
3. Nungwi Beach, a Lively Beach for Night Owls
Nungwi Beach on the northwest coast is one of the most beautiful and popular beaches in Zanzibar. Nungwi is definitely one of the liveliest areas on the island and the numerous beach resorts, hotels, restaurants and bars offer a variety of night-time entertainment. However, this beach isn’t just for party-goers. The Nungwi coast has fantastic coral reefs which are ideal for diving and snorkeling - you may even be lucky enough to see dolphins, green turtles and, at certain times of the year, whale sharks. Facing west, Nungwi Beach also has some of the best sunsets in Zanzibar and a sunset cruise on a traditional dhow sailing boat is a must.
The Best Places to Stay Around Nungwi Beach
- Hotel RIU Palace Zanzibar is a sophisticated, beachside spa resort around three kilometres from Nungwi Beach, offering a peaceful and private atmosphere away from the lively beachfront. All rooms and suites have private terraces and stunning views over the lush gardens and Indian Ocean.
4. Kendwa Beach, Sunsets & Swimming